Friday, March 21, 2008

If greater happiness comes from giving money than spending it on ourselves, then how can I help you to be happy?

In an article dated March 20, 2008, a group of researchers from the University of British Columbia and Harvard Business School suggests that greater happiness is achieved in giving money than in getting. Hmmm.

Seems when people were given money to spend on others, they experienced greater happiness than when they were given it to spend on themselves. This brings up a few points.

1) If giving money begats happiness, I am willing to make as many people happy as possible. $5 or $10 sent my way would certainly increase your perception of the world. Don’t be cheap when it comes to your own well being. Remember-you are important. GIVE. GIVE like there’s no tomorrow and then there will be one ..a happy one.

2) If giving money begats happiness, then what does receiving it do? If Bill Gates gives me a cool million, does that make me a cool million down in my feelings? “I don’t want your stanking money, Gates” . Ah…on second thought. Bill. You owe me big time for all those upgrades and changes that just seem to cost me. Vista Premuim, eh? That’s one window that needs cleaning.


So, Please, Please, don’t cheat yourself when it comes to your happiness. Checks, money, orders and cash are all willingly accepted in order for you to be the happiest darn person in the world. Please contact me at savingerasmus@gmail.com to make a donation.

1 comment:

Praise Erasmus said...

You have made and maintained a blog inspired by Praise of Folly by Erasmus. That makes me happy. :-) Money is not the only way of making people happy, yes it's give and take, but you can do that with many other things or acts of kindness.